thumbnail

By On November 07, 2018

South Korea apologises for rapes by 1980 martial law troops

Skip to main content

Thank you for reading The Straits Times.

Your account has timed out, login for full access to premium stories.

Login"; document.querySelector('body').innerHTML += noteHTML; document.querySelector('.timeoutmsg-area .close-button').addEventListener('click', function() { document.querySelector('.timeoutmsg-area').classList.add('hidden'); }); } } function timeoutNote() { var oneMin = 60000; var timeDur = 120; var timeoutDuration = timeDur * oneMin; setTimeout(timeoutEvt ,timeoutDuration); } South Korea apologises for rapes by 1980 martial law troops
< img src="https://www.straitstimes.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_pictrure_780x520_/public/articles/2018/11/07/yq-jeongkd-07112018.jpg?itok=YoMyI6z4&timestamp=1541574643" alt="South Korean Defense Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo reads a statement in Seoul, apologizing for sexual assaults by troops during their crackdown on 1980 democratisation movement in the city of Gwangju, on Nov 7, 2018."/>
South Korean Defense Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo reads a statement in Seoul, apologizing for sexual assaults by troops during their crackdown on 1980 democratisation movement in the city of Gwangju, on Nov 7, 2018.
Published1 hour ago

SEOUL (AFP) - South Korea's Defence Ministry on Wednesday (Nov 7) broke decades of silence to apologise for martial law troops raping women, including teenagers, when they crushed a pro-democracy uprising in 1980.

Defence Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo issued a public apology for the inflicting of "unspeakable , deep scars and pain" on "innocent women" who were raped and subjected to "sex torture" by soldiers cracking down on protests against a military coup by general Chun Doo-hwan.

Demonstrators in the southern city of Gwangju and passers-by were beaten to death, tortured, bayonetted and disembowelled, or riddled with bullets.

Conservatives in the South continue to condemn the uprising as a Communist-inspired rebellion.

According to official figures, more than 200 people were left dead or missing, while activists say the toll may have been three times as much.

Gen Chun's troops were believed to have also carried out widespread sexual assaults against women, but the issue has long been swept under the carpet as traumatised victims remained reluctant to come forward.

The mood changed following the election of liberal current President Moon Jae-in, who made uncovering the truth about Gwangju a campaign issue, and when one of the victims was emboldened by South Korea's growing #MeToo movement.

Protester Kim Sun-ok told a television interviewer in May that she had been raped by an interrogator in 1980, prompting authorities to launch an investigation that confirmed 17 cases.

"The investigation has confirmed rapes, sexual assaults and sex tortures were committed by martial law troops," the Defence Minister said in a statement.

Victims included teenagers and young women, including "young students and a pregnant woman who were not even taking part in the protests", he told a press conference.

"On behalf of the government and military, I bow deeply and offer my words of apology for the unspeakable, deep scars and pain inflicted on innocent victims," Mr Jeong said.

But Ms Kim rejected the apology.

"I didn't listen to it because of my traumatic experience," she told AFP. "But unless those responsible are brought to justice and duly punished, a million apologies would be meaningless."

Topics:
  • SOUTH KOREA
  • RAPE
  • PROTESTS
  • COUP

Branded Content

We have been experiencing some problems with subscriber log-ins and apologise for the inconvenience caused. Until we resolve the issues, subscribers need not log in to access ST Digital articles. But a log-in is still required for our PDFs.

Source: Google News South Korea | Netizen 24 South Korea

thumbnail

By On November 06, 2018

Soldier dies after being found unconscious in South Korea

Soldier dies after being found unconscious in South Korea

Sgt. Marcos John Aguon, 28, was a cannon crew member with the Fort Bliss, Texas-based 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, which rotated to South Korea in October.

COURTESY OF U.S. ARMY

SEOUL, South Korea â€" A 1st Armored Division soldier died after being found unconscious at a base in South Korea, the Army said Wednesday. The cause was under investigation.

Sgt. Marcos John Aguon, 28, was a cannon crew member with the Fort Bliss, Texas-based 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, which rotated to South Korea last month.

He was found unconscious at Camp Hovey and pronounced dead Sunday at Joongang St. Mary’s Hospital in the surrounding city of Dongducheon, which is near the border with North Korea.

The details surrounding Aguon’s death are under investigation, the Army said in a press release.

Aguon, who was assigned to the 4th Battalion, 1st Field Artillery Regiment, joined the Army from Talofofo, Guam, in January 2015.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to Sgt. Marcos Aguon’s family for their loss,” battalion commander Lt. Col. Jason Carter said. “Sgt. Aguon was a Non-Commissioned Officer that everyone looked up to and an integral member of the Defender battalion. His unfortunate passing will be felt by us all.”

The brigade began a nine-month tour supporting the 2n d Infantry Division in South Korea on Oct. 22. Some 28,500 U.S. servicemembers are stationed in South Korea, which remains technically at war with the North since the 1950-53 conflict ended in an armistice instead of a peace treaty.

gamel.kim@stripes.com
Twitter: @kimgamel

article continues below

Source: Google News South Korea | Netizen 24 South Korea