South Korea Begins Removing Mines, Expects North Korea to Do the Same

By On October 01, 2018

South Korea Begins Removing Mines, Expects North Korea to Do the Same

WATCH LIVE

NBC 5 News at 6am

The latest local news, weather and investigative stories impacting your community.

processing...

NEWSLETTERS

Receive the latest national-international updates in your inbox

Privacy policy | More Newsletters
South Korea Begins Removing Mines, Expects North Korea to Do the SameAhn Young-joon/AP, File In this April 11, 2018 file photo, a North Korean flag flutters in the wind near the border villages of Panmunjom in Paju, South Korea. North and South Korea began removing mines at two sites inside their heavily fortified bord er Monday, Oct. 1 as part of their recent deals to ease decades-long military tensions. They will likely end up pulling out a very small portion of an estimated 2 million mines littered inside and near the 248-kilometer (155-mile) -long, 4-kilometer (2.5-mile) -wide Demilitarized Zone. But it would be the rivals’ first joint de-mining work in more than a decade and comes amid international diplomacy aimed at ridding North Korea of its nuclear weapons.

South Korea began clearing mines from two sites inside the heavily fortified border with North Korea on Monday under tension-reducing agreements reached this year. Seoul says North Korea is expected to do the same.

The development comes amid renewed international diplomacy on North Korea's nuclear weapons program after weeks of stalemated negotiations. U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is to visit Pyongyang this month to try to set up a second summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim J ong Un.

South Korean troops entered the Demilitarized Zone on Monday morning to remove mines around the border village of Panmunjom and another frontline area where the rivals plan their first joint searches with North Korea for soldiers during the 1950-53 Korean War, according to Seoul's Defense Ministry.

The South Korean troops will try to focus on taking out mines on the southern parts of Panmunjom's Joint Security Area and the so-called "Arrow Head Hill," where one of the fiercest battles during the Korean War happened. Seoul officials believe the remains of about 300 South Korean and U.N. forces are in the Arrow Head Hill and likely many Chinese and North Korean remains too.

Koreas Strike Nuclear Site Deal, With US Condition

[NATL] North, South Korea Strike Nuclear Site Deal, With US Condition

North and South Korea reached a deal to shut down North Korea’s main nuclear site - on one condition.

(Published Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2018)

South Korean Defense Ministry officials said they couldn't immediately confirm whether North Korea also began demining on the northern parts of the two sites. But they said they expected the North to abide by the tension-easing deals their defense chiefs struck on the sidelines of their leaders' summit last month in Pyongyang.

Aiming to reduce conventional military threats, the Koreas' defense chiefs also agreed to withdraw 11 frontline guard posts by December and set up buffer zones along their land and sea boundaries and a no-fly zone above the borderline to prevent accidental armed clashes.

About 2 million mines are believed to be peppered inside the Koreas' 248-kilometer (155-mile)-long Demilitarized Zone that was originally created as a buffer zone at the end of the Korean War. The DMZ is the world's most heavily fortified border that is also guarded by hundreds of thousands of combat troops, barbed wire fences and tank traps on both sides.

  • 'Tragedy of Grand Scale': Events Mark Date of Vegas Shooting

Many experts say the fate of inter-Korean deals can be affected by how nuclear negotiations would go between the United States and North Korea. Past rapprochement efforts were often stalled after an international standoff over the North's nuclear ambitions intensified.

After provocative tests of three intercontinental ballistic missiles and a powerful nuclear weapon last year, North Korea entered talks with the United States and South Korea earlier this year, saying it's willing to deal away its expanding nuclear arsenal. Kim Jong Un has subsequently held a series of summits with U.S., South Korean and Chinese leaders and taken some steps like dismantling his nuclear-testing site.

Nuclear diplomacy later came to a standstill amid disputes over how genuine North Korea is about its disarmament pledge. But Trump, Pompeo and other U.S. officials have recently reported progress in the denuclearization discussions with the North. Pompeo is to make his third trip to North Korea soon for talks.

Las Vegas Shooting Survivors Gather in Nev. One Year Later

[NATL] Las Vegas  Shooting Survivors Gather in Nev. One Year Later

Survivors and family members gathered for a concert in Nevada to honor the 58 victims of the Las Vegas mass shooting on Oct. 1, 2017.

(Published Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018)
Copyright Associated Press
Source: Google News South Korea | Netizen 24 South Korea

Next
« Prev Post
Previous
Next Post »